Have you ever done something thinking to yourself, "Oh, they'll love this!" when the reaction you get makes you wonder if you've got a booger hanging out of your nose?  Well, I had one of those moments last week when I showed up to an Englishman's house during an English football match (soccer) wearing an Argentine jersey.

I found the jersey at Goodwill before the trip and thought that having a soccer jersey to wear on a trip across the Atlantic (where soccer is king) would be worth the dollar I paid for the shirt.  I found myself wearing the jersey when we arrived at our new host home last Tuesday evening.  Realizing that England was engaged in a close match in the Euro Cup competition, I entered the house in all my Argentine glory with a proud smile plastered across my face -- I was a true soccer fan -- so said my genuine Fifa jersey!

The beautiful truth of the matter was that, initially, our host made no mention of the abomination I had unknowingly committed.  He greeted us warmly, and immediately sat us down to enjoy the last few minutes of the match with him.  It wasn't until the next evening when he relayed the story to James McGimpsey that I realized the extent of my folly.  As it turns out, Argentina is the most hated international football team in the world (according to most Englishmen).  And because I'm such a skeptic, I took to the internet to confirm what my host claimed and, to my horror, found that wearing an Argentine jersey actually is (as one website put it) "the most universally detestable" thing I could have done.  I know what you are thinking:  you're never going to live that one down.  But that is where the grace of God shines through!  To think that I began our relationship with such an offense that should merit unconditional repentance and unending heckling for the remainder of our stay.  You must understand that football is very near a religion over here.  But that's not at all what we experienced.  Our hosts were the most generous, kind, laid back, and understanding people we could ever ask for!  They treated us like royalty even though I had offended Her Majesty's football team!  And with that, allow me to introduce to you this wonderful host family: the Yarney's.

I had been looking forward to this leg of our visit for reasons:  1.) the Yarney boys are history buffs; 2.) the view of the Forth River from the Yarney's house is legendary, I was told.  Our stay in Dalgety Bay was wonderful.  Michael & Anne made us feel right at home, the boys were a joy to hang out with, the garden was beautiful, and the view was even better than I had expected!
The famous rail bridge over the Forth River from the Yarney's front porch.
Calum & Struan w/ dog Chloe


On Friday a thick fog formed over the river.
 Struan represented a team in the Dalgety Bay Relay for Life event over the weekend, so on Friday night the Yarney's hosted a potato & pudding party to raise money.  Several of our friends from the Link attended as well as others from around the community.  We enjoyed the good food and fellowship.  I'm not sure how much Struan raised for Relay, but it was obvious he was passionate about the cause.

On Saturday Mike & Anne took us down to North Queensferry for sightseeing & pictures.  I wanted a picture of the 4 of us with the railroad bridge in the background.  I asked a passerby to take a picture, but it was so horrendous that I decided to take my own.  Not knowing how to change the # of seconds on the timed capture setting, I only had 2 seconds to press the button and position myself into the picture.  It took 3 or 4 attempts of me pressing the button, sprinting from the camera spot, and then quickly posing before we finally got a shot that didn't feature me looking too unnatural.  Here's the photo below.

 After the railroad bridge shoot, we took a walk across the Forth Road Bridge (pictured below).

Mike & Anne on the Forth Road Bridge

Railroad Bridge from the Road Bridge
The wind was intense on the bridge!

 Thank you to the Yarney's for such a wonderful stay!  We were truly blessed to be in your home.

On a concluding note, I will admit that I'm watching the Euro Cup quarterfinal (England vs. Italy) as I type this and that the game has just gone to overtime.  Michael, I want you to know that the Argentine jersey is put away, and even though I'm in the home of a Scot, I am secretly rooting for England in this match!




This entry was posted on 5:03 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    I have smiled, laughed, and enjoyed every posting that you two have made on this blog! I thank all your host families and please try not to offend anyone else! I miss you but love taking this journey with you through the blog site and pictures. See you soon.
    Love, Mom

  1. ... on June 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM