I thawed some frozen chicken in the fridge, you know, the way you are actually supposed to thaw something. Our thawing is generally right before we need it to cook so it goes in the microwave and it is still always a little frozen on the inside but the outside starts to cook so what are you going to do??

Anyways, 3 frozen chicken breasts are PERFECT when they are just set in the fridge for 3 days. And you would think, with me meal planning and all, I would know which meats I needed and pull them out ahead of time. Nope! Not there yet. After eating this chicken, I will be doing my best to make sure my meat is thawed properly-- what a difference it made.

I have to make a confession. Keenan and I are not the best chicken cookers. Really. I mean, we can cook it and eat it just fine. Just more times than not, its overcooked, too-dry or not as flavorful as we expected when we took that first anticipated bite. We have tried so many things. Grilling, broiling, baking, pan-cooking and it was always lack-luster. Until Wednesday night. I wish I had pictures of the final product but then again, your welcome, because after seeing it, you would seriously have to leave your computer right now and go make it.

I didn't even do anything that special. We just thawed the meat (correctly!), I coated the outside in eggs (I just beat 1 egg), then coated in Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) and cooked in a pan that had some heated olive oil in it. Seriously, thats it! I think the breadcrumbs were key. And I turned the chicken and took it out at the perfect time! Barely cooked- SO juicy. When we ate dinner that night.....wow! I wish I remembered to time each side but I didn't. I will replicate soon and maybe I can remember that part of it!

I also realized that I posted about our meal planning but I never really posted the plan. As you know, it is subject to change, but here goes:

Monday- chicken & beef tacos (using my homemade taco seasoning- so good!)
fresh salsa (using many BB ingredients)
homemade tortilla chips (so easy!)

Tuesday- BBQ (boston butt with some other things in a crockpot!)
grilled corn (already made, just pull out and reheat)
roasted broccoli (best broccoli ever- thanks Diana!)
**with VERY dry broccoli, sprinkle some garlic salt on, roast at 450 for 15
minutes, after it comes out, sprinkle some lemon juice on and then some
grated parm cheese

Wednesday- pork chops and pears (pull chops from freezer and pears are from BB)
twice baked potatoes (from BB!)

I am out of town so Keenan will have leftovers and some things that are frozen right now (chicken and sweet potato stew probs) so thats all I have to plan for this week. Not too bad!

I think I want to make one of those cool weekly menu boards to hang in the kitchen. Maybe that will be my next project....and hopefully I will remember to take lots of pictures!


This entry was posted on 8:35 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: