Last week Sarah was invited to Savannah to spend some time with my mom for a little get-away (her story to come). While sitting at home wondering what I was going to do without my best friend for 4 days, a call came in. It was my friend Brian asking if I was interested in backpacking the Smokies over the weekend. Would I ever!!! With Sarah's permission I embarked on the 3 day journey with 3 friends . . .

That's Natasha on the left. She just graduated from UGA and is also a friend of my brother, Philip. Next to me in the middle is Brian, a scientist and master violinist. This was his first backpacking trip. On the end next to Brian is Laura. She is the worship director at the Wesley Foundation. You might call her an "avid hiker."

We set out on Friday morning to do a 26 mile loop that began at Smokemont Campground and took us as far as the Appalachian Trail near Charlies Bunion. Once our bags were strapped on and our tennis shoes laced up we headed for the Bradley Fork Trail. After hiking about 30 feet we got lost. Some deliberation took place before a knowledgeable hiker pointed us in the right direction and we were off again, this time for real. About 5 miles the first day to our campsite: creatively named "#48." We set up camp, began cooking dinner, and then made fire. If you're inclined to say "we made A fire," then let me correct you and claim that while you're camping, it's much cooler to simply say, "we MADE FIRE".


It is such a beautiful time to be in Smoky Mountain National Park. It's so green, the weather is comfortable, and there are wildflowers in bloom. Here are a couple of pictures from our 15.5 mile hike the second day.










We finished the hike in the dark with sore hips, aching shoulders, and blistered feet, but perhaps the most amazing part of the trip was that amidst those conditions, everyone was enjoying themselves as well as encouraging to each other. After making camp in the middle of the trail (on account of darkness and soreness) we went straight to sleep and saved dinner for the morning.

Our last day we had a relatively easy hike and made it safely back to the car. Lot's of good conversation, laughter, and life stories. So glad I went. What a wonderful 3 days with 3 good friends.



I can't wait to return with Sarah! Thanks for letting me go, baby!


10 things I learned while hiking the Smokies:

1.) When stung by a yellow jacket, ALWAYS check yourself for more.
2.) Throw the weather report out the window. 0% chance of rain could mean rain.

3.) Natasha is more knowledgeable about historical quotes than ANYONE.
4.) I'm not as brave as I thought (returning to sleep when I thought there might be a bear in our camp).

5.) Brian is both deep and hilarious.
6.) You can still eat well while backpacking (i.e. Brian's chili)
7.) A 4-person tent is nice, even when there are only 2 of you sleeping in it.
8.) Laura is a natural leader, and in her words "just doesn't care what society thinks" (inside joke, sorry).

9.) The Applachain Trial distance markers lie!!!
10.) Backpacking the Smokies is as awesome as I had imagined


This entry was posted on 11:53 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    April said...

    sounds like an amazing trip!! love the top 10 list...very funny!!

  1. ... on June 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM  
  2. Jennie Armstrong said...

    Laura said was so much fun..I want to come next time!!

  3. ... on July 11, 2010 at 7:13 AM