Cloth diapering....sure!  Cloth wipes....WHAT?!?!

When I decided to do cloth diapers I saw a lot about cloth wipes.  I kinda thought it was a little gross but then I began the cloth diaper adventure.  I found myself putting the diapers into my awesome planetwise bag (incredible!) and I was left with a wipe (or 2...or 3) that I would have normally put into the diaper and tossed the whole thing.  What do I do with just the wipes???  I didn't just want to drop them into a small trash can at the changing table...yuck!  So, I grabbed a grocery bag and kept that at the changing area.  Luckily, everything isn't too stinky yet so I didn't have to worry about it.  But still, I had a rhythm with disposables--- new diaper under, old diaper off, wipe, put wipe into old diaper, close up and re-velcro, new diaper on.  Things were a bit different with cloth.  And getting the wipe into the bag was not ideal-- not when I had to put the used diaper to the side (so I could get the insert out) and needing to get the new diaper on-- its too bulky to put the new one under the old one like I used to.  An somewhere in there I needed to get the wipe thrown away.

So, the path to cloth wipes began.  I began texting a friend (who I got lots of cloth diapering info from!!!) and we discussed cloth diapers.  I basically did everything that she did and I can say (since I have used them), they are great.  And I just threw them into the bag with the diapers and inserts and they will get washed just the same!!!  I even put them in the wipe warmer too!

How did I make them???  Here goes:

First, I took some receiving blankets I had (some I had gotten from a sale and were actually quite small, but super soft!) and cut them apart.  I just took scissors and decided I didn't mind if they were the exact same size or not, so I cut away:




But, then I remembered myself and knew they needed to match a bit more than this, so I got out my quilting supplies and cut them all 6in x 8in.  I figured that was a good size to fit into my wipe warmer.  I cut 3 blankets into 36 wipes.

Put the wipe and sewed a basic zig-zag stitch (to help keep it from fraying) up one side.

When I got the the corner, I stopped and lifted up the foot but left the needed in (my machine automatically ends in need down- love it!)

Presser foot up, needle still down.

Then, I turned the fabric to get ready to sew the next side.  I did this three more times until I had sewed down each side.

Finished wipe

Close up so you can see the stitching.  Is it perfect?? No!  Will it work??  YES!!!

Then, I just wet them all, wrung them out and put them in the wipe warmer:

Now I just use them!  I will go through them quick enough that I don't have to worry about mildew or anything.  Also, it is just water on them so nothing will irritate little tooshies!  I hear there is a gentle spray I could use from a sprayer bottle if I wanted but so far, this is working just fine!!

I suggest this to any and all, but especially if you are cloth diapering.  You are already doing the wash- throwing in a few wipes won't make a difference and it makes cleaning up during the diaper change much simpler!!




This entry was posted on 11:26 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Ashley Welling said...

    I only ever use water. We have a little spray bottle that I just squirt on a cloth wipe when ready. We use disposable wipes only on major messes (you'll get to those when she starts eating table food!) You have a cutie pie on your hands!!

  1. ... on April 9, 2013 at 1:23 PM  
  2. Sarah Klayman said...

    Thanks Ashley! I might try that sometime too. Right now, I just wet them all and stuck them in the wipe warmer. Hopefully it will keep working but I love having other options before I am desperate for them!!

  3. ... on April 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM