I think there are a lot of different reasons people cloth diaper here in the US.  I think it has become very trendy, it helps the environment and my big reason: $$$$$.  It saves it....a LOT of it!  Yes, there is an initial, up front cost but it pays for itself in less than 8 months.  And, you can use the cloth diapers for your next kid, and your next, and your next.....you get the picture!  I think anyone who is considering cloth diapers doesn't need me to go into the details or specifics of money spent/saved.  You can easily google it if you are curious though-- lots of posts out there about it!

So, I decided I wanted to do it before we even got pregnant.  Then, we got pregnant and I thought, Yeah, we can do this!  So the research began.  And if any of you know me, I can DO some research.....almost to a fault!  When I first started looking, I thought the only decision was: cloth vs. disposable.  After about one minute of looking, I thought, Oh, there is also velcro vs. snaps.  HAHAHAHAHA!  Anyone who has done research would have laughed at me too!  I would NEVER have believed how many options are out there.  Snaps or velcro is only the beginning!!!  I am not going  to go into all of the options on here either because you can just google and see what I mean.  I will just tell you that eventually, you just have to make the plunge and just buy them.  I read a lot of moms who said....these didn't work perfectly, this didn't fit just right, etc....but I just had to do it.  I have several friends who use them and I ended up going with one of the brands they use.  I went with the BumGenius4.0.  I also got them at Sweetbottoms Baby.  Since I bought more than 12, I was able to get them for $16.95 apiece.  Maybe a bit pricier than other sites but they come with a lifetime warranty and free shipping!  I also had a certain amount set aside (thanks to our amazing diaper shower!!) to purchase the diapers and accessories.

I read to wait at least 4-6 weeks to begin using cloth because of how many diapers you change up until that point and that was GREAT advice!  We also went to the beach when she was 9 weeks old so we decided to wait until after that to start them.  Looking back, I probably could have started them and gone to disposables for the beach and gone back once we returned.  Oh well!

So far, the 2 hardest parts of cloth diapering has been:

1- Figuring out how to wash them.  Remember how many different kinds there were??  Yeah, that many different ways to wash them too!!!  My friend texted me directions for my kind and I typed them up, put them in a sheet protector and taped it inside my laundry room.  (Weird, I know, but I always know where they are!!)  Just reading the directions is kind of confusing but when I actually washed them, it totally made sense.  I followed the directions as I pre-washed all of them and I have now done 2 loads of them and it really is super easy.


2- Organizing.  Or maybe this is just hard for me because I like to be super organized and I am still trying to figure out how to organize the diapers, where they should be, where my pail should be, etc.  I will have to do another post once I figure out how to organize.

I did decide that it was a hassle to have cloth diapers but disposable wipes.  I wasn't throwing the diaper away anymore so I had nothing to stick the wipe inside so I was just putting them in a plastic grocery bag at our changing area- gross.  So, I made cloth wipes.  If you are interested, you can read my post here.  I really like them so far!

Here are the colors I chose:



I tried to get "gender-neutral" colors so if we have a boy later we can still use them.  I also love the blue and purple but needed to get some lighter ones in case she was wearing white or something.


Each diaper comes with a regular insert with these snaps so you can make them different sizes:






A newborn insert that I didn't use for a newborn but I stick it in with the regular sized insert at night for lasting power--- it has worked for 3 nights now!



Directions on how to snap them for your size baby:



Here are some other essentials for cloth diapering:


Charlie's Soap- Anyone who cloth diapers swears by this stuff and I can honestly say I am VERY impressed.  I can understand why you would want to use it on everything!!



Lavender (its an anti-septic)



A sprayer-- I hear if you actually purchase something labelled as "bidet" it will be cheaper than the one labelled "diaper"- does the same thing.



An Ubbi (or another good diaper pail)-  I have not purchased this yet, but I will either tonight or tomorrow.  I will probably purchase the white- boring I know, but that way it can go into whatever room I need it to at any point.

I had a friend give me 4 PlanetWise bags-- the large size ones-- and I will be using them in the diaper pail.  They are incredible and I just wash each bag as I wash the diapers.  So, it is nice having a few of these so one can be in the wash and I have another ready to go.  I also plan to get some smaller ones soon for my diaper bag to carry with me when I go places.  I also hear that many day cares will use cloth diapers if you provide this specific brand bag because they really do keep the smells in, just in case anyone is interested.  Having your child in day care doesn't mean you can't cloth diaper anymore!!!



I like to dry the outsides and the bags outside in the sunshine (they can't go in the dryer) so I would recommend a drying rack and clothespins.  



I am really enjoying cloth diapering so far and I don't feel like it is adding that much extra time to my day.  We go through 5-6 diapers on an average day so its really not much more.  I was really worried that cloth diapering would be like "sitting in pee" but it really isn't.  The fabric on the inside of these diapers wick (isn't that such a big word right now) away all moisture.  Yes, I have tested it and its true.  The insert was very wet but the part that actually was on her bottom was totally dry.  Score!!!

The only con I can come up with for these would be their bulk.  I actually thought they would be MUCH bulkier than they are but there could be some outfits, especially pants, that may not fit well over the diaper.  I will have to see and just adjust what we wear though because I am sticking with these for sure!!!


This entry was posted on 1:47 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Mollyanne said...

    We used BumGenius 3.0s with Hudson and will reuse them, plus add a few (pretty/girlie) 4.0s when Emery gets here. If you ever have extra questions or want more input let me know! Also, make sure you "strip" them once a month or so. BG website says to use bleach but I used to do dish soap and lots of soaking. And if the inserts get stains or smell even after stripping them, let those dry in the sun every once in a while too to bleach them (and keep an eye out bc the sun could fade your shells if you always dry them outside).
    Glad the experience is off to a good start for you! Oh, and how/for what do you use the lavender?

  1. ... on April 10, 2013 at 4:55 PM